One of our Team members was craving a lettuce cup had at an Asian-Fusion restaurant south of the border. The original calls for chicken, but we've adapted it using our Classic Burger Mix. We believe we've got the fusion of flavours that your family will love! We bet they won't even know it's plant-based!
For this batch
- 1 pkg Babz Classic Burger Mix (CBM)
- 3/4 C plant-based chicken or veggie stock (or water if you want less sodium)
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts - drained and diced
- 1/3 c hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1.5 tsp ground garlic, or about 3 cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- a few grinds of black pepper
- Chopped green onions for garnish (use your discretion)
- 1 head of lettuce - separated into their cup like leaves (Iceberg or Butter lettuce works best!
- In a bowl, add the 3/4 of stock or water to the Classic Burger mix - let stand for at least 10 minutes - you can also do this the night before and store in the fridge to save time!
- Next, chop up the onion and set aside. While you are at it, drain and chop the water chestnuts.
- Combine the hoisin, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chili garlic sauce, garlic & ginger in a small bowl - OR, use a container with a well sealing lid and put everything in there and give it a good shake. Let the flavours sit together for a bit - you will need this sauce in your last step of cooking.
- Take out 2 fry pans (make sure the one for the Classic mix is large) and set them each up with a Tbsp each of the 2 oils ( you may find you need a bit more for the Classic Burger mix)- in one saute the onions unit translucent. In the other cook up the Classic burger mix, stirring until crumbly. crispy edges are good, but make sure you don't burn it. Add a bit of oil if necessary and adjust your heat as required.
- Add the water chestnuts & onions to the CBM and give a good stir. Add the sauce mixture to the pan from step #3. Stir and cook until warmed and coated - about 2 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Spoon the mixture into the lettuce cups - or simply place in a bowl and serve along with the lettuce cups & let everyone help themselves. Top with slices of green onion.
This recipe if served alongside other dishes should serve 4, however it can be a meal on it's own for 2 hungry adults!
Like this recipe? Tag us @myrnasfoods or use the hashtag #myrnasfoods to share your creations with us on social media